Statement by George M. Houser, Executive Director of the American Committee on Africa, on the Boycott of the 1968 Olympic Games, presented at a Press Conference, April 11, 1968
Statement by George M. Houser, Executive Director of the American Committee on Africa, on the Boycott of the 1968 Olympic Games, presented at a Press Conference, April 11, 1968
The statement says on February 8, 1968 the American Committee on Africa called a press conference at which Jackie Robinson and K.C. Jones spoke on behalf of more than 35 American athletes protesting the possible readmission of South Africa in the Mexico City Olympic Games; since that date, the International Olympic Committee, by a mail ballot, was voted to readmit South Africa; although the vote was secret, reportedly it was close; the Supreme Council of Sport in Africa almost immediately (Feb. 26) affirmed the fact that they would boycott the Games; there are somewhere between 40 and 50 national Olympic Committees now supporting the boycott. The statement says on April 20 and 21, the Executive...
The statement says on February 8, 1968 the American Committee on Africa called a press conference at which Jackie Robinson and K.C. Jones spoke on behalf of more than 35 American athletes protesting the possible readmission of South Africa in the Mexico City Olympic Games; since that date, the International Olympic Committee, by a mail ballot, was voted to readmit South Africa; although the vote was secret, reportedly it was close; the Supreme Council of Sport in Africa almost immediately (Feb. 26) affirmed the fact that they would boycott the Games; there are somewhere between 40 and 50 national Olympic Committees now supporting the boycott. The statement says on April 20 and 21, the Executive Committee of the IOC is meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, to discuss again the question of South Africa's participation in this year's Olympics; we believe that the whole IOC should be called immediately into session to debate and vote again on South Africa's participation; such action would be justified on many levels; if South Africa is allowed to participate in the Games under the present system of sending a multi-racial teams whose members are selected on after segregated trial in South Africa, the IOC will condone discrimination and the existence of unequal opportunity facilities for non-white athletes in South Africa. The statement says today we are releasing a statement which so far has been signed by more than 60 athletes in the United States supporting the boycott if the IOC does not change its position, or if the South African National Olympic Committee does not take immediate steps to put its policies in complete line with Olympic rules. The statement says the letter inviting athletes to join in this statement was signed by Jackie Robinson, Oscar Robertson and Bob Boozer; on April 10 we sent a letter to each of the nine members of the Executive Committee of the IOC enclosing the list of athletes here who are supporting the boycott; we hope they will take this into account in their deliberations. The statement says today, we have Steve Mokone, Ruben Amaro, Jim Bouton, Heyward Dotson, and Kwaku Ohene-Frempong, here, all of whom have signed this statement; Mr. Mokone is in a particularly important position to explain the boycott because he speaks as a South African sports figure. The statement discusses the Commission on South Africa, the existence of internal discrimination in South African sports, and Fundamental Principle I of the Olympic Code.