Unknown control: organization
Unknown control: ready

Stony Point Center

View objects associated with this organization:
All (4) | Documents (4)

Duration: 1948 - Current (Africa solidarity work known in the 1990s)
Location: Stony Point, New York, United States


In 1948, the Gilmor sisters bequeathed their home and 26 acres of farmland to the Presbyterian Church Board of Foreign Missions of the United Presbyterian Church in the USA (UPUSA).  From the late 1970’s to the early 1990’s, under the direction of Jim and Louise Palm, Stony Point Center became known as an international center focusing on peace and the protection of human rights around the world. Many of the residents in those years were refugees who fled violence and persecution for their human rights work in their communities of origin. In the early 1990s George M. Houser was coordinator for Southern Africa. (Source: Stony Point Center documents on this website; and the Stony Point Center website accessed July 7, 2015)