Alternate Names: Episcopal Churchmen for South Africa
New York, New York, United StatesNewsletter: ECSA BulletinMissions and Movements
The Episcopal Churchmen for South Africa (ECSA) was founded in 1956 as a non-profit organization of Episcopal laypeople to support the work and witness of the Anglican Church in the Province of South Africa, particularly as it faced the doctrine and practice of apartheid. William "Bill" Johnston was the founder, President, and only paid staff person. In the 1980s, it was renamed Episcopal Churchpeople for a Free Southern Africa (ECSA). ECSA's slogan was "Toward a free Southern Africa." Most of its work related to the struggle for Namibian independence and against apartheid in South Africa. After Johnston's death in 1998, the organization closed, and its remaining archives were sent to the National Archives of Namibia.
Episcopal Churchpeople for a Free Southern Africa / Episcopal Churchmen for South AfricaMedia:
As of February 2009: 272 listed boxes, 50 unlisted boxes, and the unlisted contents of 25 filing cabinet drawers.Description:
On the death of Bill Johnston in 1998, the Episcopal Churchpeople for a Free Southern Africa (ECSA) (previously called Episcopal Churchmen for South Africa) was closed down and the remaining archives sent to the National Archives of Namibia. As of February 2009 part of the collection has been processed and a preliminary database is available on site. The archive includes publications of ECSA and other organizations, correspondence, photo prints, and negatives.
Housed At: National Archives of Namibia
Location: Private Bag 13250, Windhoek, Namibia
Restrictions: Some restrictions, contact in advance.
Reference Email: email@example.com
Episcopal Churchpeople for a Free Southern Africa (Yale University)Time Span:
1971 - 1994Media:
8 boxes; 4 linear feet Description:
The records in this collection primarily document the ECSA's work in relation to Namibia. Publications (1963-1994), files relating to Namibia (1971-1990).
Catalog/Finding Aid: viewRestrictions:
Unknown, contact depository institution in advance
George M. Houser (Africa collection)Time Span:
1950s - 1999Media:
10 boxes, documents, correspondence, photographs, posters, audio materialDescription:
Covers most countries of Africa, and includes notes on George M. Houser’s many trips to Africa (such as 1960, 1961, 1967, 1972, 1973 (Guinea-Bissau), 1974, 1975/6 (Lusaka, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde), 1978, 1979 (Western Sahara and Algeria), 1981 (taped), 1983, 1989 (Namibia). Major organizations covered include American Committee on Africa (ACOA), The Africa Fund, Africa Action, American Negro Leadership Conference on Africa, and International Defence and Aid Fund. Houser was a founder of ACOA and served as Executive Director from 1955-1981. Houser was Executive Director of ACOA's associate organization The Africa Fund from its founding in 1966 to 1981. ACOA and The Africa were based in New York City but worked nationally in the country and with organizations with similar goals in other countries as well as with liberation movements and leaders in many African countries. The collection includes audio of interviews Houser conducted in South Africa in 1954 with Z.K. Matthews, Kasavello Goonam, Walter Sisulu, Manilal Gandhi, Patrick Duncan and Chief Albert Luthuli. Some of the many correspondents include Julius Nyerere, Joshua Nkomo, Kanyama Chiume, Martin Luther King, Victoria Chitepo, Mary-Louise Hooper, Piet Koornhof (South African Ambassador), George W. Shepherd, and David H. Anthony. Also included are 12 original cassette tapes of interviews by George Houser and Herbert Shore with African National Congress (ANC) leader Walter Sisulu recorded September 20-26 1995, which formed the basis for the book I will go singing : Walter Sisulu speaks of his life and the struggle for freedom in South Africa / in conversation with George M. Houser & Herbert Shore
(Cape Town : Robben Island Museum in association with the Africa Fund, New York, 2001). This collection forms part of the African Activist Archive collections. Material deposited by George M. Houser.
Michigan State University Library, Special CollectionsLocation:
100 Library, East Lansing, MI 48824, United StatesCatalog/Finding Aid: viewPhone:
517-353-8700Related Website: http://www.lib.msu.edu/spc/index/