Southern Africa International Affairs Report

(Letter No. 8)
by Ted Lockwood, American Friends Service Committee
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
June 28, 1984
Publisher: American Friends Service Committee
9 pages
Type: Newsletter
Coverage in Africa: Zimbabwe
Coverage outside Africa: United States
Language: English
The newsletter by Ted Lockwood examines the challenges facing the Zimbabwe government as it seeks to move its key agricultural sector in a socialist direction. 75% of the population depends directly on agriculture for a living, and agriculture accounted for 50% of total exports earnings in 1982 (although this declined to 45% in 1983). The newsletter discusses foreign companies including Anglo-American, Liebigs, Lonrho, and Hulletts. The newsletter says 95% of all marketed food comes from white-owned commercial farms, which employ one-quarter of the country’s work force. Lockwood also reports on the drought that has affected Matabeleland and Midlands more severely than any other region except Masvingo. The United States is the biggest donor to the new Zimbabwe; USAID programs are discussed. • Introduction • Agriculture As the First Step Toward Socialism? • The commercial agricultural sector • Communal Areas • African Purchase Areas • a. Resettlement • b. Improved Services • c. Policy Evaluation • Slowed Resettlement Favors Individual Small Holders, Not Collectives • Credit as a Constraint • Extension Services • Results • The Influence of Western Aid • A Look to the Future
Used by permission of American Friends Service Committee.
Collection: George M. Houser (Africa collection), Michigan State University Libraries Special Collections